Sunday 31 October 2010

Going Cold Turkey - An Idiots Guide to Prozac

Good Day Sir.
Haven't taken my Prozac for 3 weeks now. Been on them for 3 years. First 2 weeks went by absolutely fine, but I can feel my self craving one of those lovely green and yellow pills. I've never felt such a compulsion for something. When I'm impulsed to do my Obsessive Compulsive rituals its a totally different feeling, I get a pang of of anxiousness and my mind is constantly thinking over and over and over what I need to do to satisfy the compulsion. This just feels like (what I presume) what a smoker feels like when he craves for a cigarette. It's an odd feeling, and not one that I want to feel for much longer.
You get a little booklet with each prescription of tabs from the pharmacist or doctors. It's a fun read, for people who like to read about side effects anyway. I'll quote some choice snippets below.

WARNING
Fluoxetine (Prozac) can cause dizziness, drowsiness, blurred vision or make you feel less alert. If you suffer from any of these side effect, do not drive, operate machinery or perform tasks that require you to be alert. It is not advisable to drink alcohol whilst being treated with Fluoxetine.

Now. Lets make a list of of things that the lovely people of Generics (UK) Limited tell me that I shouldn't do, but I have done.

"..do not drive" - Forklift trucks at my last job down at the docks.
"operate machinery" - Aye, forklift truck, skinning machine, fish processors.
"tasks that require you to be alert" - Night porter at a 4 floor hotel. Meh.
"drink alcohol" - My bad.

Adults (remember the word 'adults' here by the way) - to treat the following conditions.

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (that's me!)
The usual starting dose is is 20mg of Fluoxetine a day. If after a few weeks your condition is no better your doctor may gradually increase your dose if necessary up to a maximum of 60mg per day.

I started on 20mg just before I turned 17, and gradually increased up to the maximum dose of 60mg after a year and a half. The side effects, of which some were fun, and some were not, will be analysed later. If you enjoy detailed descriptions of the male anatomy, stay tuned for that one.

Children under 18 years old - The use of Fluoxetine in children is not recommended.

OH RIGHT DOCTOR YOU ABSOLUTE TOSSER. See, I've had problems regarding the fact that since I was 16 I've looked old enough to draw odd looks when going out with my similarly aged, but babyfaced friends. But the fact that I was put on the adults waiting list for CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and Psychotherapy because my shitty prepubescent beard got in the way of my D.O.B. on my files, is absolutely unacceptable. But hey, it did no harm did it. Oh no, wait, it did.

Patients under18 have an increased risk of side effects such as suicide attempts, suicidal thoughts and hostility (predominantly aggression, oppositional behaviour and anger) when they take this type of medicine. You should inform your doctor if any of these side effects develop or worsen. Fluoxetine is not intended for use in children under 18 years of age.

I'm quite the hostile person at times, I admit, its just another reason to love me. And I have been known for oppositional behaviour, as most people are, so that side effect could seem a little vague. I cannot remember the last time I was angry or aggressive. I do believe that Fluoxetine did make me have a period of suicidal thoughts, and thanks to me and my mums relationship, she was told straight away, and it was swiftly dealt with, thankfully. Wasn't the greatest of times. I remember getting a McDonalds though, so swings and roundabouts. I remember someone mentioning that 'sanity is contemplating suicide every day'. Which I do believe to be the biggest pile of bollocks I've ever heard, and was probably mentioned by a tool like Noel Edmonds or Judy Finnigan.

Possible side effects whilst on treatment:
Very Common side effects (probably affecting more than 1 in 10 people)
- nausea (feeling sick). Taking your medicine in the morning after food will reduce the chance of this happening. I never felt this myself.
- change in sex drive or function. For example lack of orgasm and, in men, abnormal erection and ejaculation. I fucking felt this though. Every so often, my then-girlfriend at the time, could not get me to finish at all, I was loving it and everything and I was definitely feeling turned on every time but it just would not happen. I'd say for every 3 times I did finish, I wouldn't once. Annoying. Made me seem impressive though. Probably not. Maybe though. Nope.

Common side effects (probably affecting more than 1 in 100 but less than 1 in 1o people)
-lack of appetite. I fucking wish.
-blurred vision
-weight gain. I could blame this for a few extra pounds.
-yawning
-not sleeping well. Always had a dodgy sleeping pattern.
-dry mouth
-diarrhoea (ARF!)
-feeling dizzy
-sweating or feeling weak. Nope, always been a sweaty bastard, thanks dad!
-taste perversion. This made me laugh, just made me think of a paedophile taste bud.
-headache
-hair loss. I'm blaming Fluoxetine for my widows peak.
-feeling flushed

That's all for the booklet, apart from some of the later side effects which seem both weird and worrying. For example;

-abnormal production of breast milk in men
-hallucinations
-jaundice
-a prolonged painful erection.

Scary stuff. Glad I'm coming off them finally. Don't go on them, its not nice. Breast milk isn't attractive, trust me.

Love and a prolonged painful erection
Jc

0 comments:

Post a Comment